Time to fess up. I am no longer strictly on the Kathy Freston cleanse. I am now on the self-invented, newly concocted, quasi-cleanse. Translation: I have succumbed to the evils of seafood and alcohol. I have NOT eaten meat, dairy, caffeine, or wheat. The old Kenny Rogers song said, "You have to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run..." Well, I am not running away from the cleanse, but I have walked away from the straight and narrow of it. Here, in point form, are the factors that weighed into my decision:
* I became white (I was previously purple :) - white as a ghost.
* My left hand turned freezing cold and slightly numb
* My husband became nervous seeing me white, cold and numb
* I accomplished very little during the week on the cleanse - all energy and motivation departed
* I had to cancel social engagements that were important to me (especially a nana/granddaughter day) due to malaise, fatigue and sour mood and numb hand
* I had a constant headache, and felt like I was on the verge of a cold which never quite manifested
* Beyond sluggish, there were periods when I felt depressed
I know these are signs of the detox doing its work, and I hope my body can do the work with the few adjustments I have made to the cleanse. I will basically follow it but with a little less rigidity. Weekends will be the time that I allow myself the indulgence of a small portion of fish and/or a glass of wine. Otherwise, I am still eating no meat, no sugar, no dairy, no caffeine, no wheat.
I still have not acquired the interest or motivation to become a gourmet vegan cook. I have the cookbooks, read them, but settle on a few basic meal plans that conform to my long-term way of cooking. I have so many other things I want to do than, for example, try making a bechamel sauce from cashew nuts. My daughter says it is easy and delicious and I'm sure it is. I will try it and enjoy it when I'm at her house. Here, I will forego making the bechamel sauce and spend more time in my studio.
So that's where I'm at. Excuse me now - time for breakfast: decaf coffee, oat/quinoa bread smothered in slices of banana. Please don't hate me because I have succombed to the weakness of the flesh! :) (Last sentence is especially directed to TTZ!)