Continuing on my loosely threaded theme of the last several posts (collage), I thought I would show you the evolution of another of my first attempts. I rarely have a plan and rarely have any idea what the finished product will be. However, in this case I had some tissue-like paper with a stone motif and thought I might be able to make some sort of abstract resemblance of the stone arch I see beyond my kitchen window.
I prepared a background of rust on my canvas board and then cut an arch shape from the stone-like tissue paper. I worked around that initial image with applications of other solid colored tissue paper. When I did not like what resulted, I ripped it off - often only strips would come off, leaving other strips attached. When I did not like that, I took sandpaper to the piece to try and give it an aged effect. When I finally stopped my applications, removals, sanding, varnishing, etc. I ended up with the image below. If you look closely, you can still see the shape of the stone arch.
While it had started out wanting to be a stone archway, it now resembled religious vestments, and thus its name, "Vestments". My family approved of this one. Eh voila, a collage is born. Perhaps you see something other than vestments - and I'd love for you to share what you see.